Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Homecoming

So, finally I've got around to posting a few pics of the airport.  I have no idea why other people seem to be such great photographers.  I LOVE pictures, but I can't for the life of me figure out how they have the time.  I'm O.K. with the "every day" pictures, but when there's a major event it's always the last thing on my mind to take pictures.

Back to the flight...we could hardly contain ourselves on the flight from Chicago to Huntsville.  We were almost HOME.  There were 3 seats across on the small plane, one on one side of the aisle, and two on the other side.  Billy and John were seated across from me.  Since Billy was the one having to deal with our sick little boy, I was in charge of "the backpack."  I was constantly handing wipes across the aisle, etc.

As we approached Huntsville and we felt the plane descending, my stomach was just doing flip-flops.  The time away from the other children had been way too long, and I couldn't wait to see their little faces and just touch and hold them all.  The emotion that was welling up inside me was hardly containable, and as we landed it was just an amazing feeling to be at the end of this long journey.  Now, we could begin the best part, living as a family of 8.

After we gathered the carry-on suitcase and the stroller from the valet, we made our way down the elevator to be greeted by all the children, holding balloons and handmade signs, along with my mom, step-dad, dad, step-mom, brother, sister-in-law, neice, nephew, and many of our church family.  They were holding a huge banner signed by all of our church family!  A very warm welcome!

The first thing I did was give each of the kids a hug.  I don't remember much after that.  :)

 Billy checking on our sick little guy.  He didn't want to be held, but was pretty content in the stroller.

Back with Mommy.  She's such a Mommy's girl.  I'm so proud of how she handled my being away.  She was very brave.  :) 
I guess this was around midnight, just before everyone went to bed.  The kids were so excited!  It was wonderful to be together again, all under one roof.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I kept waiting to read in the excitement that you had left the backpack on the plane!

I love your photos and feel much the same way. If my sweet neighbor had not brought her amazing friend to take our homecoming photos I would have had none.

I had my camera out and was going to try and take some . . . but . . .hugging my grandson and family members was more important that the photo at the moment!

I love the photo of all your children together! So sweet!