Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

I think I'd better change that to Valentine's Week. Grandma visited on Tuesday and brought candy for the children. They've been getting those great money-filled cards in the mail from other grandparents this week too. Last night when we got home from church, there were some surprises on the porch for the children from Granddaddy and Maw-Maw.



And, today, the preschool Valentine party. Wow, how things have changed since I was in school! We used to be content with a cupcake with sprinkles and a shoebox full of valentines to go through. Now, apparently you can't just give a plain old valentine. It's got to be attached to a bag of candy or a junky little toy. You have to, at the very least, give a lollipop. The kids brought home bags of puzzles, stamps, tattoos, whistles that look like lips, chocolates, sweetheart candy, gummy candy, cookies, balloons, pencils, and notepads. I could go on... It's a shame that they don't even care about the valentines. That was always my favorite part. Maybe I'm making too much of it, since they can't even read yet!

Happy Valentine's Day, anyway!!

Addendum: And the grand finale: The kids got personalized M&M's that arrived by UPS! Compliments of Granddaddy Bill! I thought this holiday was for sweethearts. How did it get to be a kids' holiday?!



5 comments:

Hope for Lucy said...

Yes...what happen to the good old days. Jerry went to Lily's party and yes...her valentines were "homemade" from others. Sorry...I took the cheap way out this time.....card/sucker...haha. We have enough candy until Easter....

Connie

The Princess's Mommy said...

Cute, cute, cute! I used to always love the valentine's too. I would keep them in my little aluminum foil shoe box forever...yes, things do change..
Love,
Monica

Rebekah D. said...

Your kids really racked up! Now I'm glad mine are both at home and too young to grasp the concept that they're supposed to be bombarded with presents on V-Day. I didn't give them anything but extra hugs and kisses!

Deanna said...

We got the same loot here. I just sent mine with plain cards, no candy. I knew there would not be lack of for most kids on Vday. Course I'm not complaining that I have a nice stash of chocolate and truffles now in my hiding-not-sharing-they-can't-even-reach-it spot! lol And try combining Vday with 2 birthdays and lots of cake to go around for a week straight! ;)

Doug and Melody Kemp said...

Wow!! I know the kids loved every minute of this day!


Love, Melody